Thursday, June 5, 2014

Remembering Kay

I came into work this morning, ready to write a post about road rage - still hot from an encounter on my drive to work.  Then I realized what day today was and decided to save road rage for another time.

Today is June 5th.  Not a particularly special day to most (unless you're keen on celebrating National Gingerbread Day), but a significant one for me.  One year ago today, my beautiful grandma left this earth.
Katherine "Kay" Kloss
August 4, 1925 - June 5, 2013

She had been sick for a long time and we were expecting it, but it didn't make it any less painful when it happened.

Grandma was a tiny Sicilian woman with a huge heart.  A heart full of love for her family.  She was the epitome of a matriarch. 
When I say she was tiny, I'm not kidding either.  As I was growing up, she would keep pushing my shoulders down to keep me from getting taller than her.  No luck, Grandma.  As I got taller, she seemed to get shorter - all of her grandkids had outgrown her by the time we were about 10 years old :-)
I loved staying with her when my parents went out of time, or just for a night because I wanted to.  Eating soup out of those little blue bowls, pickles sliced in half, cucumbers cut into tiny spears with salt, no ice...ever, peeled apples, the brown chair, easter egg hunts and egg conking, christmas pinatas and oplatek, licorice - a lot of food memories, but I suppose that's to be expected in an Italian household :-)


 I will always cherish this photo.  It's not only the obligatory 4-generation picture, but it's the day she got to meet her first and only great-grandson.  She was so proud - she held onto him from the moment we walked in the door until we left.   No one was allowed to take her baby that day, and that was ok with us.  I wish Miles had gotten to know her as I did, but I'm so glad that she got to meet him.
She was so excited for his arrival.  After we heard the heart beat for the first time and felt 'safe' to go public with our news, she was the first person I called.  Each time we talked during those 9 months, she asked all about the baby and the pregnancy - how are you feeling?  have you felt any kicks?  when's your due date? Her memory wasn't the best at this point, but this was one thing she didn't forget.  She didn't get out much, but she made the trip to my baby shower.
She had a wall of pictures of all her grandkids, but when Miles came along, those pictures all got covered with pictures of him.  During her last stay at the hospital, I made sure her room had his newest pictures hanging on the wall.  She only met him once, but he certainly made an impression on her heart.

I love you Grandma.  I miss you so much, but I know you and Grandpa are with me (and Miles) everyday.






4 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute to your grandmother - she looks like she was una bella donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss Chelsea. Your grandmother looked so elegant and kind! Wonderful post. XoKeila

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry Chelsea... never gets easier does it. I can see her in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your grandma. I lost my beloved grandmother less than two months ago... I miss her incredibly.

    Hugs to you. Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop - I hope you'll join us again tomorrow).

    Wishing you a lovely evening.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete